Independent Journalism Fund for Media in Central America
Deadline: 27 May 2019
The Independent Journalism Fund (FPI) has been announced by The Seattle International Foundation (SIF) to support innovation and security for independent media in Central America.
The Independent Journalism Fund seeks to address these needs with a grant that contributes to innovation, the use of technology and the security of the media. The goal is to provide them with resources and tools, improve the safety of their journalists and information, increase the scope and impact of their work and promote cutting-edge journalism.
For this, the fund will support both the new and innovative ideas of the media, as well as their basic and fundamental technological needs without which the materialization of these ideas is impossible.
The FPI was created in 2016 to support journalists and independent media in Central America that investigate the realities of the region, give voice to its inhabitants and promote democracy. It has granted aid to media in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.
The FPI is aware that independent media in the region not only face economic challenges to sustain them and constant threats to the physical safety of their journalists. The media also face technological limitations to collect and process information, lack resources to implement innovative ideas, have difficulty expanding their audiences in a market dominated by traditional media, and face numerous digital risks for the safety of their journalists and of its platforms.
- Proposals of up to US $ 35,000 will be subsidized, but the possibility of raising the amount will be evaluated if the project justifies it and deserves it.
- The fund will be distributed among the independent media selected during a period of twelve (12) months.
Proposals for financing of independent media that meet the following characteristics will be received:
- Be based in Central America: Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Belize or Panama.
- Be legally established or have a fiscal sponsor legally registered.
- To be an independent medium that does not receive money from any Central American government, either through subsidies or advertising guidelines.
- The media can be current or new beneficiaries of the fund.
Requirements to Submit Proposals
- The interested media must present a proposal that requires the use of technology and innovation to carry out a coverage, investigation or journalistic project, which implies an innovative idea for journalism in their country or region.
- The scope and impact of the proposal, the creativity and innovation of the idea and the needs of the medium to receive the contribution will be taken into account. Priority will be given to proposals related to the investigation of inequality, corruption, impunity and forced migration in Central America.
- Applications may include (without being mandatory) acquisition of tools to generate, process, analyze and visualize data, development of applications (apps), training, programming and support, platforms for gathering information and funds, regional collaborations of journalists, acquisition or rental of equipment, provided they are justified and fit within the needs of the postulated project.
- The innovation proposals may include security, digital and / or physical components, both for journalists and their platforms and protection of information, and must detail the amount allocated for each item.
- It is allowed to include administration expenses up to a maximum of 10 percent (10%) of the total amount of the project.
Exclusions of the Call
Excluded from this call:
- Financing proposals for general operating expenses of the media.
- Payment of wages, unless they are justified for the realization of the postulated project.
- The fund calls on independent media based in Central America to submit an initial project proposal (concept notes).
- The fund will review the proposals received and may contact the applicants to clarify doubts or propose adjustments.
- The selected finalists will be notified and invited to present their formal proposals.
- The formal proposals will be reviewed and selected according to the criteria indicated.
- The selected media will be notified.
How to Submit a Proposal
To submit a project proposal, please follow these steps:
- Enter their online grant system.
- If this is the first time to submit a grant request, create an organization account and a user profile in “Create New Account”. Otherwise, log in.
- Click on “Apply” on the left side of the page. Enter the 2019FPI access code and complete the application called “2019 SIF Independent Journalism Fund”.
- Applicants can save the draft of their application at any time by clicking on the “Save” button at the bottom of the page. When they finish filling out the application, be sure to click on “Submit Application” to have it sent. They will automatically receive by email the confirmation that their request has been received.
For more information, please visit http://www.seaif.org/IJF.asp